Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Drivers License Death Penalty

So, I saw this video today on CNN.com and I've gotta say that I like the Judge's ruling on this.  Driving is not a right, it's a privilege and people need to start treating it as such.  I'm a firm believer that anyone who gets a second DUI\DWI should instantly lose their license for life, regardless if they hurt anyone or not.  If you're irresponsible enough to be under the influence of any drugs or alcohol while behind the wheel (or handle bars) twice, then you should have your license taken away for life.  With that said, I think the drivers license should be taken away for a minimum of 5 years from a person who is convicted of their first DUI\DWI with an additional minimum of a 10 year sentence in jail for every person that is killed.  I just don't think laws, or the enforcement of laws, is stiff enough for drivers in this country.  If the laws and enforcement of those laws were stiffer, we would have better drivers in this country.


My Uncle was killed by a drunk driver when I was about 5 years old.  I never got to know my uncle, but my Dad always tells me stories about his brother.  My uncle was a fun loving father of 4 who loved cars, camping, playing pranks on friends, and just having fun.  He owned a Sambo's restaurant chain in Alabama and I remember visiting him there once and he gave my sister and I these huge stuffed Sambo's tigers.  I really wish I could have grown up with my uncle around, but one irresponsible person who thought he could drink and drive took my Dad's brother away.


Drunk drivers don't just affect one person, they affect many people for decades, but they don't care...

No comments:

Post a Comment